VISION: Davao and Mindanao’s premier fashion event and lifestyle platform.
MISSION: Consolidate lifestyle artists and designers, professionals and newbies alike, in one event to showcase Davao and Mindanao fashion and style that is globally-attuned but locally produced.
OUTPUTS: As a consolidation platform, this event is expected to celebrate Design
Week Philippines in Davao by:
- gathering and documenting the designing community of Davao with a directory and annual look book of designs and visions of style;
- showcasing retailable and accessible designs by local fashion designers through 2 days of runway shows, style fora, exhibitions and retail access;
- highlighting to inspire the progressive achievements started by Davao-based designers locally and internationally;
- recognizing the new generation of designers through a collective with the Davao Fashion Design Council, a graduation show for the academe, and a Mindanao-wide Young Designers Competition; and,
- crafting a portfolio to lobby for at least initially a 5-year sustainable project.
The third week of March and October of each year has been declared Design Week Philippines through Proclamation No. 277 signed by President Benigno S. Aquino III on October 20, 2011. The event is a multi-faceted platform that brings together creative visionaries from diverse backgrounds and disciplines in a series of programs and events that celebrate design and artistry. Positioning the Philippines as Asia’s design destination, Design Week Philippines fosters connections between creative industry practitioners and design enthusiasts in an interactive sharing of knowledge, ideas, and trends. It is a national agenda that nurtures the creativity and design capability of the Filipinos to usher in trade opportunities.
In view of that, the organizing groups composed by Philippine Women’s College of Davao HZB-SFAD School of Fine Arts and Design, the Fashion Design Council of Davao together with Abreeza Ayala Mall of Davao would like to partner with the Department of Trade and Industry to jumpstart a platform for local fashion designers to bring their “proudly Davao made” products to the fore. The organizing groups conceptualized Davao Fashion Week-End as both a showcase and a dialogue among the fashion stars of Davao and a constellation of government and non-government network and support. Consolidation of people and resources on this erstwhile unorganized but active sector of the industry is the main focus of the maiden edition of Davao Fashion Week-End.
Davao Fashion Week-End is a 2-day fashion event featuring the best of Davao and Mindanao designers, from the established set down to the new designing kids on the block. DFW is envisioned to provide a platform to open and process a visual dialogue among designers, media, buyers and target market groups.
The city’s pool of talents and their products have been making the rounds around the globe but have not been grounded and presented before the local patrons. This is the best time to push Davao sense and style to the fore by establishing a strong local patronage and well-connected global network.